The Junior League of Durham and Orange Counties’ program, Little Leaguers, is designed to teach ‘little’ members of the community the difference that they can make through volunteering. We hope to instill a love of volunteering in the next generation by giving children the opportunity to volunteer alongside the League member in their lives.
A sampling of what our Little Leaguers have been up to this year:
Hands on Volunteering Opportunities with our community partners:
- Packaging diapers at the NC Diaper Bank
- Cooking for guests at Caring House
- Cleaning the kitchen of SECU House
- Sorting food and packing weekend food bags at TABLE
- Kid shift at the NC Food Bank
Learning the cycle of a service project:
Little Leaguers hosted a bake sale at the annual JLDOC Bargain Sale. The profits were used to make healthy snack bags for children staying at Families Moving Forward. Snack bags were delivered once a week for three months. Children learned about goal setting, fundraising, healthy food choices and budgeting during these sessions.
Spreading knowledge about healthy foods:
Little Leaguers sponsored a booth at the Chapel Hill Farmer’s Market in the fall and one at the Durham Farmer’s Market in the Spring where they encouraged community children to take part in a scavenger hunt. Participants tried new foods, talked to farmers, and learned more about produce offered locally. Participants were rewarded by taking a turn spinning the prize wheel!
Getting crafty for a good cause:
- Little Leaguers helped bring a service focus to the annual JLDOC Santa Brunch. Children used recycled materials to make beautiful ornaments for a tree which was donated to Caring House.
- Children spent time during snack bag assembly gatherings making cheerful crafts such as placemats, centerpieces and cards which were donated to various local organizations.
JLDOC holds an annual essay contest, open to fourth and fifth graders, that focuses on a different health topic each year. Learn more and participate in this year’s “Little Hands Make a Big Difference Essay Contest.”