Elizabeth O’Quinn is the current Membership AVP of the JLDOC. She joined the Junior League of Raleigh in 2011, back when she was a youth minister who spent most of her time with teenagers. “I was craving adult interaction and wanted to develop myself outside of my professional world.” Shortly thereafter she transferred to the JLDOC, where she worked with the Membership Enrichment committee. Her favorite aspect of the League is attending the year-end meeting and “celebrating all the work of these amazing women.”
Elizabeth’s leadership began in Raleigh when she co-chaired the Provisional committee, and she pursued leadership positions once she transferred to the JLDOC. She enjoys building relationships with other driven, community-oriented women, and building her own skills as a leader. She advises her fellow League members, “Set your intention for the year. Know your unique value-add – you have one!”
Outside of the JLDOC, Elizabeth is a director of operations at Teach for America. Additionally, she is involved with the Cedar Grove United Methodist Church, Anathoth Community Garden, and the Kappa Alpha Theta Advisory Board at Duke. How does she balance it all? “It’s all about alignment. I’m always looking for ways these different parts of my world intersect and interact. I pay attention to when the ‘heavy’ seasons are in each part of my world so that I can balance that out.”
Here are a few things you might not know about Elizabeth:
- Family: Spouse – Jason, son, pets – Bella and Bailey
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: I’m going to Hillsborough since it’s my town – Radius Pizza
- Best book you have read recently: Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Best movie you have seen recently: I haven’t seen a lot of movies lately, but I’m obsessed with the show “Parenthood.” Add it to your Netflix queue ASAP!
- Favorite sports teams: Duke Blue Devils, Atlanta Braves, Wofford Terriers
- What do you like to do for fun? Watch sports and cheer on my teams!
Elizabeth, we are glad you came to share your talents with the JLDOC!