Sarah Murphy joined the JLDOC in 2015 after moving to the Triangle from Los Angeles. She was new to the area and eager to get involved in her community. Always one to be socially engaged, Sarah found herself working from home and felt removed from her surroundings. The JLDOC offered a way for her to get to know many of the wonderful people and organizations here in Durham and Orange counties.
Sarah has loved serving on the Extra Hands Committee since she joined. Her service has allowed her to meet the JLDOC community partners and gain a better understanding of our local populations in need of assistance. She says, “The League does such a great job of connecting with these groups and helping in a way that compliments, rather than competes with, existing support systems.”
Like so many of our members, Sarah has made great friends through the League. She enjoys running into League members around town – it’s nice to see friendly faces. When her daughter was born last year, one of her first doctors was in Sarah’s provisional class. She says, “It was great to have that connection in a relatively new town!”
Are you thinking about joining the JLDOC? Sarah’s advice is, “Go for it! Carefully consider why you are joining and find a placement that is going to really connect you to those objectives.” With so many avenues for engagement, there is something for everyone!
Here are some fun tidbits about Sarah:
- Occupation: Major gift fundraiser for the University of Southern California.
- Family: Husband, Hugh; Daughter, Sloane; Dog, Toby (Springer Spaniel)
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: Vin Rouge in Durham, Kipos Greek Taverna in Chapel Hill, or The Fearrington House Restaurant
- Best book you’ve read recently: I really enjoyed The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: Hidden Figures was great!
- Favorite sports team(s): USC Trojans or NY Rangers
- What do you like to do for fun? I love to run, volunteer, travel, read, and spend time with my family.