Are you a middle school student? Are you a middle school teacher? Do you have a child in middle school? We want you to be a part of this year’s JLDOC essay contest!
The Junior League of Durham And Orange Counties is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. One of the ways in which the JLDOC aspires to improve our local community is through building relationships and engaging in community-strengthening activities with younger generations. We strive to help instill a strong sense of community and a love for volunteerism within young people in the Triangle area. Our hope is that these young people become the future leaders of our community, and we would like to partner with you to reach these future leaders by inviting your students to participate in our 3rd annual essay contest.
Our essay contest is open to all middle school students in Durham and Orange Counties. This year we are focusing on the topic of healthy living, the barriers to healthy living that exist in our community, and creative ways to address them. We ask that each participant write a 300- 500 word essay addressing the prompt:
“What does healthy living mean to you and what do you see as the greatest barrier(s) to healthy living in your community? How would you use $400 to reduce these barriers and promote healthy living in your community?”
Essays must be submitted by April 5, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org by either the student or a teacher sponsor. The winner of the contest will be announced in early May and will be awarded a $400.00 grant to carry out his or her project with the support of the JLDOC. If the winning essay is submitted by a teacher sponsor, that teacher will also receive $100 for their sponsorship and participation. There is no limit to the number of essays that teachers may submit on behalf of their students.
Rules and Prizes
- Entrants must be a middle school student in Durham or Orange county.
- Only one submission per entrant; all subsequent submissions will be ineligible.
- Each submission must include the participant’s name, grade, school name (if applicable), and teacher’s name (if applicable). Exclusion of these items will result in disqualification.
- Essays must be between 300 (minimum) and 500 words (maximum).
- Text must be written in print that is legible or typed. Entries that are illegible will be disqualified.
- Submissions will not be returned once received by the JLDOC.
- All non-English text should be translated on the same page.
- All submissions are due by 11:59 pm (EST) on April 5, 2019.
Format and Content
The essay topic should focus on how the participant would use a $400.00 grant to to reduce these barriers and promote healthy living in your community (e.g. school, neighborhood, place of worship). Each essay should be a minimum of 300 words and a maximum of 500 words. In your outline, please include:
- How many people you intend to impact;
- The key people who will help you implement your plan; and
- One year from now, what does your project look like (your end goal)? How do you measure its success?
Judging and Prizes
The entries will be judged by selected members of the JLDOC on creativity, originality, overall quality, feasibility, and adherence to the theme. The decision of the judges is final. Winners will be announced in May 2019. Each submission constitutes permission for the JLDOC to use the participant’s name, likeness, biographical information, photo, and content of essay in any advertising and promotion without notification or compensation. All entries become sole property of the JLDOC. Entrants agree to be bound by the official contest rules and decision of the judges.
We are thrilled you have chosen to be part of the Essay Contest. All submissions are due by 11:59 pm (EST) on April 5, 2019. There is no entry fee. Submissions can be made via email (email@example.com) or mailed to: JLDOC c/o little leaguers 900 S Duke Street Durham NC 27707
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.