Kate Walton, a Chapel Hill native, joined the JLDOC in 2013 after she moved back to the area from Washington DC. The League offered a way for Kate to give back to her community and also expand her social group. As the Durham and Chapel Hill areas continue their rapid growth, Kate has found that the JLDOC has helped her keep up with the many community changes. She also loves that, having met many of her dearest friends through the League, she is able to share these meaningful volunteer experiences with people she loves and admires.
One of her favorite experiences to share is Touch a Truck, where she gets to see kids get so excited to turn on a police car siren or watch a fire truck ladder extend up to the sky. Kate says, “I became a first time mother of a little boy in 2015 and it has clearly made me a softy…ha!”
For current members and people thinking about joining the JLDOC, Kate encourages you to ask questions and voice your opinions. She shares, “Something I’ve really admired about the League is its willingness to listen to its members and create new systems to ensure everyone has a positive experience.”
Here are some fun facts about Kate:
- Occupation: Assistant Jewelry Designer, Gabrielle Jewelry. We take antique lace and other fabrics and cast them in metals to create one of a kind pieces.
- Family: My husband, Hunter, and my almost two year old son, Rhett.
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: So tough! My favorite thing is probably an extra dirty martini and the whole fish special at Lantern, though.
- Best book you’ve read recently: I just finished Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple. I laughed through most of it, in a good way!
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: I don’t really watch movies, but I always put on Gone with the Wind when I can’t sleep.
- Favorite sports team(s): Georgia Bulldogs
- What do you like to do for fun? : Sketch or paint, go on adventures with Rhett, and unfortunately, shop.