Patty Sprouse is the 2016-2017 JLDOC Recording Secretary. Patty joined the JLDOC in 2013 after hearing how great the League is from her friend, Jane Bullock. In her own words, “I love the notion of making a direct impact on our community with such a large force of dedicated women.” This impact was realized when the JLDOC prepared backpacks for students entering the middle school program at Student U Community College. She says, “It was fun to see how excited they got about stuff they deserve to have.”
Since joining the JLDOC, Patty has served on the Community Connections committee and on the Board as Member At-Large. She got involved in leadership by saying “yes” when asked. In addition to making deeper connections within the League, Patty says leadership has given her “a much larger respect for other roles too – getting to know the behind the scenes details helped me see just how hard everyone worked to make the League great.” Patty maintains work/family/JLDOC balance by scheduling things on her calendar so that she can adjust as necessary “to bring things back into balance.” She advises future League leaders to “Force yourself a little out of your comfort zone. Those are the times the most meaningful experiences tend to happen.”
Patty is a therapist who specializes in anxiety, trauma, and depression and owns her own practice in Mebane. Outside of the JLDOC, she volunteers with the PTA, Boy Scouts, and activities at her church. Here are a few other things you might not know about Patty:
- Family: Husband, Andrew – married 13 years, 2 sons – Clay (9 yrs old) and Charlie (6 yrs old)
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: Watts Grocery, with Mateo in a close second.
- Best book you’ve read recently: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Favorite Sports team(s): Tar Heels and Kentucky Wildcats
- What do you like to do for fun?: Read, watch TV/movies, bake
Patty, thank you for saying YES to the League!