Nina Dhillon was an avid volunteer throughout her college career. Getting involved in the community became more difficult after graduation, so she joined the JLDOC as a member of the Spring 2016 class. The League offered a variety of opportunities that fit with Nina’s interests and schedule, and it was a great way to meet women who share her interests.
The opportunity to develop strong friendships was a big selling point for Nina, and she has found it to be true! Although these friendships are important, Nina asserts the JLDOC is far from being just a social club. Not only has she met awesome women, but she really likes being involved and knowing more about what’s happening in her community. She says, “I’m from Durham and now have a greater connection to this awesome place!” For those thinking about joining, she says, “Just do it, like Nike.”
Nina’s favorite League experience was visiting Neal Middle School for the Girls PLUS program, which provides after school enrichment for girls in 5th and 6th grades. “While waiting for everything to be set up, I sat with some girls at a table and just talked with them about how their day was going. They were so fun and silly. It reminded me of when I would volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters…exactly why I wanted to join the League.”
Here are a few fun facts about Nina:
- Occupation: Intellectual Property Paralegal
- Family: my cat Izzy
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: The Boot for sure!
- Best book you’ve read recently: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – I get all of my book recommendations from my sister, the family bookworm J
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: Actually, just watched Finding Dory with my nephews and it was so good! Also, Hidden Figures is AMAZINGG!! Hope it wins all the awards!
- Favorite sports team(s): duh, Duke!
- What do you like to do for fun? I’m pretty close to my family, so I love hanging out with them. I love doing things with my nephews (3 and 4 years old). I also love to travel…. hoping to do more of that this year!