Lisa Johnson is the current JLDOC President Elect. The Vice President of Kil-Mor Pest Management joined the League in 2005 to make lasting connections with volunteer organizations and other volunteers in the area. Additionally, the JLDOC offered place to meet and welcome new people moving to Durham. This twice Vice President of Finance has also served on the Bargain Sale, Holiday Market, and Fund Development committees. Touch-a-Truck was one of Lisa’s most memorable experiences. “It was very cool to take a project from concept to completion. Also, it was a lot of fun.”
Lisa become involved in League leadership by speaking up in her committee meetings. Sharing her voice and ideas led to more interaction with League leaders and eventually a leadership position on the Bargain Sale committee. Being able to see “the big picture” is what Lisa enjoys most about serving on the Board. “It’s wonderful to be able to see every aspect of our League’s mission being carried out by the various councils and committees while still being very connected to every aspect of all the functions of the League.”
Balancing work, family and the JLDOC is a constant work in progress. “Planning ahead is key, my calendar is one of my best friends. It helps me make sure that I don’t over commit and it’s a visual reminder of where I’m spending all of my time and who I’m spending it with.” The flexibility of the JLDOC is also important, as it allows her to bring her daughters when necessary. “They love the League, and I love them being able to see what we do!” What is Lisa’s advice for future League leaders? “Don’t be afraid to say YES! But learn when to say no…We’re a team, no one has to do anything alone (plus, we’re fun!).”
Here are a few things you may not know about Lisa:
- Family: Married to Will for 15 years, two daughters (Tinsley, 7 and Harper, 6), two dogs (Mickey, 16 and Holly 2).
- Community involvement outside the League: After so many years in the League, much of my involvement is with JLDOC partners (past & current: Durham Rescue Mission, Lineberger CCC). Mangum Elementary PTO Treasurer, Durham Regional Association of Realtors.
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: my FAVORITE is actually in Hillsborough, La Place (I could eat there nearly every day). In Durham would be NanaSteak.
- Best book you’ve read recently: The Paris Wife by Paula McLain. It’s actually the second time I’ve read it, and it was just as good the second time.
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: This makes me realize I really don’t watch very many movies (not including kid movies with the girls)—I love superhero and action movies, so Deadpool and Avengers: Age of Ultron are my two recent faves.
- Favorite Sports team(s): NC State, The Panthers and The Chargers
- What do you like to do for fun? I play on several tennis teams throughout the year, I love to tailgate at NC State football games and I love to go to the beach with my family.
Thank you, Lisa, for sharing your voice with the League!