Kelly Preussner is this year’s Assistant Vice President for Membership and Development. She joined the League in 2014 in order to meet more people outside of Duke, where she works, and to become active in the community she now calls home.
After joining the JLDOC Kelly served on the Membership Enrichment Committee, where she tried to be an active and engaged voice. Her efforts were noticed, and when asked if she was interested in moving into leadership, she indicated she definitely was.
Kelly enjoys working with all of the committees that form the Council and appreciates the opportunity to lead the amazing women involved. It can be a lot to juggle her position as the Duke Athletics Assistant Director of Academic Support and her League commitments. Kelly says that communication—and a good dose of fun—are her secrets to staying on top of everything.
Kelly’s advice for future League leaders is to get involved: do many different types of Extra Hands and get to know the ladies in the League. Her favorite League experience is the September 11th dinner for the Durham firefighters, which she has helped serve for the past three years. She says, “I think giving back to those who protect us is so important!”
Here are a few things you might not know about Kelly:
- Community involvement outside the League: Involved in my church and volunteering with my athletic teams in the community
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: Guasaca Arepa & Salsa Grill!
- Best book you’ve read recently: The Best Yes: Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands by Lysa TerKeurst
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: I don’t go to many movies but I am sucker for all Nicholas Sparks movies so I’d say The Best of Me
- Favorite Sports team(s): Duke Blue Devils!! Otherwise Atlanta Braves
- What do you like to do for fun? Go to sporting events, travel, golf
Thank you, Kelly, for sharing your voice with the League!