Jane (Royall) Yarbrough, the current Assistant Vice President for Communications, joined the JLDOC in 2013 after she moved to Durham. She was looking to meet like-minded women who are active, social, and invested in the community. After working with Community Connection and Issues-2-Impact (I2I), she realized she wanted to be more involved in aligning the League with its new focus area to increase its community impact. Jane indicated her interest in the LEAD survey, and the Nominations Committee followed up with her to become the Board’s Recording Secretary.
Being part of a mission larger than herself is important to Jane. She says, “Being on the Board gives me first hand witness to the amazing work each committee is doing and how many countless hours they devote to the League. You appreciate that Event Planning’s role in preparing for GMMs is just as important and the planning the curriculum for the After School program. They both make the League run.” To manage her busy schedule, Jane takes care of quick items during the day and dedicates one to two nights per week to larger League projects.
Jane advises working members to discuss League obligations with their employers. “Most employers will be [understanding] if they know it is for the community, so don’t be afraid to ask!” She also reminds us, “This is a volunteer organization and no one’s full-time job. Be gracious in your communication and always assume people’s best intentions. This is my advice to myself constantly!”
Here are a few things you might not know about Jane:
- Occupation: Marketing Associate at Quintiles
- Family: My husband is Andrew Yarbrough (a Durham native), and we have two golden mixes, Finley and Duke.
- Community involvement outside the League: My husband and I are active members of The Church of the Good Shepherd in Durham, where we are greeters. I also volunteer at Church World Services tutoring refugees who are studying for their U.S. citizenship exam.
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: Toro or Mateo – it’s a tie!
- Best book you’ve read recently: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: Brooklyn
- Favorite Sports team(s): Tar Heels
- What do you like to do for fun? I love to run and have completed 4 half-marathons. All of our family is close by, so we often spend the weekends with family.
- Fun fact(s) about me: I played soccer my whole life and still play to do this day in the Durham recreation league. I’m also obsessed with Law & Order: SVU.
- Favorite League experience: I loved serving breakfast at Urban Ministries last year. The people there was so thankful and very appreciate of the food and our help. It meant a lot.
Jane, thank you for stepping up to lead within the League!