Meet Jane Bullock, the 2016-2017 Immediate Past President of the JLDOC. Jane is a software consultant who joined the Junior League in 2007 when she lived in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. She was motivated to meet people and learn more about her community, which has led to nearly 10 years of service with the League. In addition to serving as President of the JLDOC, she has also served as a Face of the League committee member, Membership Advisor, Membership Assistant Vice President and Board Member At-Large. Jane’s advice for balancing work, family and JLDOC life: “Make sure it’s something worthwhile and rewarding for you – if it’s important, you will make time and balance all your responsibilities.”
Jane is passionate about her service to the League, especially because it allows her to spend time with “an incredible group of smart, motivated and committed women. I love that we want to improve the community by way of improving the JLDOC.” She especially enjoys the annual Community Leaders Breakfast in the spring, when leaders in Durham and Orange Counties are invited to Hill House to learn about and celebrate the JLDOC’s accomplishments. Jane says, “It is such a reward for our members to see the support we receive from leaders in Durham and Orange Counties. I especially love to see the excitement of all the community partners talking about how we can work together.”
How did Jane get involved as a leader within the League? “By saying YES when asked! I attended different events, asked questions, engaged with and learned from past leaders about JLDOC.” For those who are interested in League leadership, she advises, “Get involved in different things, develop relationships beyond just your friends and just say yes!!”
Here are a few things you may not know about Jane:
- Family: A full gaggle: Will (husband), Lilly (9), Fowler (6) William (4)
- Community involvement outside the League: Girls on the Run, North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics Alumni Board, Parent Volunteer
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: Parizade
- Best book you have read recently: (Re-)reading Harry Potter with my kids
- Best movie you have seen recently: Maleficent
- Favorite Sports team: Duh – Tar Heels!
- What do you like to do for fun? Watch TV, especially crime shows.
Thank you for your service, Jane! The JLDOC is lucky to have you.