Halley Bogart is the 2016-2017 Vice President for Community Council. She joined the Junior League of Charlottesville in 2010 and transferred to the JLDOC after a year of service. The JLDOC was instrumental in helping Halley learn more about and meet people in her new community. She has served in many capacities during her League tenure, from Fundraising and Development (in Charlottesville) to Community Connection and Membership.
Halley’s foray into leadership came after serving on an ad-hoc Membership Action Learning Team, which evaluated flexible membership options. Through sharing her ideas and demonstrating her initiative, Halley gained the Nominating Committee’s notice and was asked to serve as the Assistant Vice President for Membership. On the Board, she has many opportunities to interact with women of various backgrounds, interests and skills. Halley especially enjoys “the ability to have direct input on our League’s involvement in the community.” While it can be difficult to juggle many different commitments, she encourages us to “do what you say you’re going to do, and only say what you can conceivably do.”
Halley’s advice to future League leaders is to be bold: “Don’t be afraid to go to an event or a training where you don’t know anyone. My very first week living here [in Durham], I attended my first GMM. I walked up to strangers, stuck out my hand, and said, ‘Hi, my name is Halley, I just moved here.’ The Junior League is a safe place, among like-minded, service-oriented women, to do something like that!”
Here are a few things you may not know about Halley:
- Occupation: Regional Director of Development at Duke Law School
- Family: 1 pet – kitty named Jazzy
- Community involvement outside the League: President of UVAClub of the Triangle
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange counties: Parker & Otis
- Best book you’ve read recently: Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: The Big Short
- Favorite Sports team(s): UVA Cavaliers!
- What do you like to do for fun: I like to work out, read, do anything outside, explore new activities, and spend time with my boyfriend.
- Favorite League experience: Starting an after-school program.
Thank you, Halley, for sharing your initiative with the JLDOC!