Carrie Harbinson is the JLDOC Finance Vice President. She joined the League in 2010 in search of an outlet outside of work that allowed her to make a difference and meet like-minded women. Since then, she has served on Event Planning and Bargain Sale, which she chaired in 2014.
“My favorite experience in the League was working side-by-side with Bargain Sale ladies to pull off the 75th annual sale.” She also likes doing Extra Hands with community organizations such as The Good Samaritan Inn, North Carolina Children’s Hospital, and Crayons2Calculators. Serving on the Board has been very rewarding for her. “I love having an impact on multiple fundraisers and facets of the League, and I love knowing what’s going on from a big-picture perspective.”
Carrie encourages future League leaders to take risks. “Go for it even if you wouldn’t necessarily have seen yourself as the person leading the charge on something! The League is a really awesome place to learn about your strengths as an individual and grow tremendously as a leader.” It can be difficult to balance work, family, and the JLDOC. Carrie recommends, “Stay very committed to what you have set out to accomplish but [do] not feel bad about putting family first when you need to. Finding ways to be creative and get things done with limited time and resources is something us women are pretty darn good at!”
Here are a few things you might not know about Carrie:
- Occupation: Corporate Relations at UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School
- Family: A very smiley and sweet toddler named Audrey, a laid-back engineer husband named Erik, and our crazy labradoodle Annie
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Chapel Hill: Piedmont
- Best book you’ve read recently: Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Favorite Sports team(s): Carolina Tar Heels and Carolina Panthers
- What do you like to do for fun?: Hanging out with my family & best girlfriends, spending time outside on my front porch with a glass of wine, playing nerdy board games, and watching a variety of TV shows from “Game of Thrones” to “The Bachelorette”
Thank you, Carrie, for your dedication to the JLDOC!