Candace Anderson is the current JLDOC Vice President for Membership. Candace joined the JLDOC in 2010 to get involved in the community and to make new friends. Since joining she has served as a Community Connection committee member, Membership Advisor chair, and JLDOC Board Member-At-Large.
A seasoned League member recognized Candace’s enthusiasm and leadership potential, and that led to Candace taking on the Assistant Vice President for Membership role last year. She feels lucky to have an opportunity to expand her communication and management skills. The various personality types and situations she interacts with has helped her work on conflict management and move toward resolution.
Serving on the Board requires attending a lot of meetings and being as present as possible in League events. To balance it all Candace says, “It’s very helpful to have open communication with your council leaders or those you support so that the delegation of any tasks can be smooth and effective.”
Leadership is as rewarding as it is challenging, and Candace encourages others to get involved. “Showing up to events, offering to help, and volunteering for tasks is a great way to be recognized. You may not think so, but the League is hungry for women who can make things happen.”
Here are a few things you may not know about Candace:
- Favorite League experience: I’ve loved preparing meals for the local fire departments on September 11th as an Extra Hands event.
- Occupation: Clinical Research Associate
- Family: Husband – Everett, dog – Peanut
- Community involvement outside the League: Volunteer with Meals on Wheels.
- Best book you’ve read recently: The Stand by Stephen King
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: Inside Out
- Favorite Sports team(s): Panthers, Tar Heels
- What do you like to do for fun? Exercise, travel, attend concerts (all types!)
Thank you, Candace, for stepping up!