Amy Jones joined the JLDOC in 2016 after moving to downtown Durham in 2015. She quickly fell in love with Durham’s vibrancy and quirkiness. As she came to know her new home, she realized its residents have unique challenges and wanted to be part of the solution. The Junior League gave Amy a way to maximize her impact in a profound and long-lasting way.
Although Amy is a newcomer to the JLDOC, she has had many meaningful experiences. As a member of the Extra Hands Committee, she has worked closely with SEEDS in Durham. Amy learned the organization was thrilled to partner with committed women and has since developed an even closer relationship with the organization, which is right in her neighborhood.
Here are some fun facts about Amy:
- Occupation: Non-profit strategy and management
- Family: Me and my pup, Penny
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: Most of my favorite meals come from my own kitchen or a potluck with friends. But if I’m venturing out, I might head to NanaTaco or Picnic.
- Best book you’ve read recently: I’m in the middle of The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu (with Douglas Abrams) and am finding it very inspiring, encouraging, and even personally challenging – a great way to start the year!
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: I rarely go to movies, but I love seeing live shows at the DPAC. A recent favorite was An American in Paris.
- Favorite sports team(s): Kentucky Wildcats (audible groan from all the UNC and Duke fans)
- What do you like to do for fun? Hit the trails throughout Durham and Orange counties with my pup.