Courtney Brown, a Durham-based entrepreneur, joined the JLDOC in 2013. Courtney was looking for a way to make sure volunteering remained a priority within her busy schedule and to meet more people. Since joining, she has come to love the people and connections she has made and appreciate being able to see the JL grow and change.
After serving on the Community Focus Committee and Communications Council, Courtney now leads the JLDOC Annual Fund. It has been thrilling for her to help the two-year-old committee grow into an actual campaign. It took a full year of planning, but now the Annual Fund is actively engaging members and partners in the community to provide sustaining financial support for the League to continue its community action.
Are you still thinking about joining the JLDOC? Courtney’s advice is to go for it! “It’s a great group of supportive women, and while it is a time commitment, you make great friends and learn more about the community we all love.” Opportunities like serving on fundraising shifts often pair Courtney with people she doesn’t know, and she likes getting to know her fellow members a little better.
Here are some fun facts about Courtney:
- Occupation: Realtor at Hunter Rowe in our new Durham office!
- Family: 2 dogs and 1 indoor cat
- Favorite restaurant in Durham or Orange County: It varies on night. Staples include Juju, Mateo, The Federal, Taberna Tapas, Oval Park Grille, and Metro 8 Steakhouse.
- Best book you’ve read recently: I read too much. You should see my nightstand! That said, everyone should read The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead, and I am learning a lot reading Pushy by Jo Mangum.
- Best movie you’ve seen recently: La La Land or Duck Soup by the Marx Brothers
- Favorite sports team(s): Duke blue devils of course. Although my love for the Miami Dolphins runs deep.
- What do you like to do for fun? Read. Cook. Hike with the dogs. Needlepoint. Get drinks with friends. Follow the news and see what’s new in the law. Get out of town if possible.
If you are interested in contributing to the JLDOC Annual Fund, please contact Courtney and the Annual Fund at firstname.lastname@example.org.